I Waited... But Not In Vain

For someone who is used to working since graduation, I found it difficult to be without work for six months after passing the board exams. In my previous post regarding that, I was exploding with enthusiasm in this new chapter in my life. I was armed with hope that I will land a job in one of the hospitals that I wanted to work in.
I passed the necessary requirements, went to exams and interviews. October flew by. Followed by November, and December, and January, and February, and March... I waited for the most anticipated phone call...But none came...
In the beginning, I was still enjoying my time as a full-time housewife. But when months kept on flying by... and I have read most of my husband's books... also learned how to cook... Paranoia and doubt crept in once in a while. Was I overage already? Is being a medical technologist not in God's will for my life? But how come He guided me to get passing marks? Because of these, there were days that I got sungit and easily irritated.
In February, my husband told me to start applying for other jobs aside from that of a medical technologist. He has identified my unemployment (actually it's the feeling of being unproductive) as the source of my negative emotions. Now, I have more options in finding work. So I did apply keeping in mind the priority of my applications:
Option #1: hospital/laboratory work as med. tech.
Option #2: full-time freelance or home-based work (so that if I get in for an externship program, I can do both)
Option #3: part-time medical indexing (where I used to work)
But still, the you-are-hired phone call remained elusive.
Days before my birthday, I was telling God aloud (when I was alone in the room) "Work ang gift mo sa akin di ba?" Another version was "Please dear God, work na lang regalo mo sa akin." On the same days that I pleaded to Him, and since my birthday is fast approaching, I started to assess my life. And found out quite a lot of enlightening revelations.

FRUITS OF THE LONG WAIT
For the past months, yes, I waited. Patiently and otherwise... but He didn't make me wait in vain. Because as I was waiting for the fulfillment of one of my heart's desires, without realizing it, He was teaching me far more important things.
I learned that sometimes, I was looking for a life-changing event to realize that I have been infinitely blessed. Since I was focusing my attention on finding a job, I sometimes forgot to realize that my waking up that morning was already a miracle. The fact that I am still spending precious moments with my husband and loved ones is an immeasurable gift. He has blessed me because I am now already 31 years old - alive and kicking!
I also realized that more than boredom, the feeling of being unproductive was causing my negative emotions. I felt unproductive because I thought that being productive means getting a paycheck each month. I failed to see that beyond the paycheck, I was more than productive when I brought a smile to my husband's face with something that I did; when I was able to assist him with his needs; when I was able to do little things for my family. Whining because of my predicament meant that I forgot who my first priority is. And that is my husband! Later, God opened my eyes to the fact that I have been more than productive by serving His will -- which is to be a wife after His own heart.
Another precious moment was when I came to realize that acts of service is a strong love language for my husband. I may have thought that cooking for him, keeping the room clean, etc. were menial tasks. I neglected the fact that he was sweeter whenever I did something for him. He kisses and hugs me more whenever he liked what I cooked. Thank God I was able to realize this!

BLESSED TO THE nth POWER
Aside from the blessings that I received while waiting... I am yet to be blessed even more. Indeed, He is a very generous God!
On my birthday, I received an unexpected phone call. I was to go to a hospital for an exam and interview. At the back of my mind, I was confident ("Sabi ko na nga ba Lord eh, work ang gift mo sa akin.") and yet doubtful ("Ito na nga ba yung gift mo Lord?"). So the following morning, I went in for the exam and interview. Goodness, there were lots of applicants! Apparently, a training program will be opened for aspiring medical technologists. Before noon, I was done with the exams and was told to come back by 1:30 for the initial interview. The interview didn't materialize until around 3... Thank God for my lessons in waiting! So patiently, I waited. After the interview, five of us went to the laboratory department head for the final interview. Wow, I didn't think that the process would be this quick! Around 5:30 in the afternoon, I received the results... I got in! Whew! Thank you Lord! That afternoon, I got my confirmation... "Work nga ang regalo mo sa akin, Lord. Thank you so much."
I spent the next two days in the hospital for the medical exam, submission of requirements, and orientation. For three days, I was there the whole day... patiently waiting in line. By Friday, God has granted the fulfillment of my option #1!
On my way home on Friday, I received a text message which I have been waiting for the past months. A good friend and previous officemate of mine will now be my part-time boss. Option #3 granted!
And the other day, when I checked my emails, I am ready to start the trial period for a home-based editing job. Option #2 granted!

I have been blessed to the nth power! And now, it will be up to my God-given free will to choose which path I would take. Thank you Lord for making me wait for the past months! Indeed, You have helped me prepare for all the blessings that You are to shower upon me. I am now ready to choose, knowing that whatever choice I make, You will bless me even more. And with my choice, I must be sure never to forget that Your will for me, first and foremost, is to become a wife after Your own heart.
I waited, but not in vain... Because with the long wait, You have blessed me immeasurably. The wait was worthwhile and the learnings are priceless. Thank You so much!

Thanks also to the people who prayed for me; Daddylove for always trying to understand and be patient; Salas, Saludares, Silo, Rala, LOJ, and JOLOGS families for the support and prayers. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment