Parental Control

I stumbled upon an interesting show at ETC -- Parental Control. It caught my attention. The show gives parents a chance to choose two men whom they would want to go out with their daughter (am yet to see a show featuring a son). I believe this features parents who are unhappy with their daughter's choice (meaning current boyfriend). Thus, they get to choose their preferred men and the chosen ones get to date their daughter for a day. In the episode that I got to watch, their daughter ditched her current boyfriend. Much to her parents relief and happiness!

And this got me to think about Mimi. For so many times, we were at opposite ends when it came to my choice of a boyfriend. This went on for a very long time. And the hardheaded me always went on with the relationship. Very much to her disappointment...(Bad ko ba??)
And then, there was a time (actually I believe there were 2 of them) when Dad had to "remind" me of Mimi's feelings. Both via emails...In one, he told me to stop seeing the guy because it saddens Mimi that I am still going out with him. Another was when he told me to take the time in getting to know the person I was with before deciding to settle down. Both relationships ended...much to my parents' relief! But they didn't end right after I heard/read their reminders...The stubborn me wanted to see for myself if they were right. (Bad nga 'ata ako.)
I bet had there been a show entitled "Parental Control," they would have jumped at the opportunity to show me what the world has to offer. Those times, since I thought I was in love with the right man I felt controlled by Mimi and Dad. I sometimes thought "How dare them impose on me? They don't know my boyfriend as much as I do. They should give us a chance!" As much as I wanted to respect their opinions and feelings I stayed on with the relationship that they didn't approve of. (Tigas ng ulo ko noh?)

And then, another parent of mine (and yours, too) entered the picture. Well, He's always in our lives... every minute... every second... Using Mimi and Dad to keep on reminding me every chance they got, He also gave me the time to find out for myself. I guess every person has felt how it's like to be in a budding relationship... you get too focused on the in-love feeling that you forget the voice of wisdom and reason. But since my second parent gave me free will, as the relationships went on, I realized that as much as I feel in-love with the person, there are just a lot of things that we don't agree on. And He kept on showing me those instances... To make me realize my negotiables and non-negotiables (as Bro. Bo Sanchez would put it).

I may have put Mimi and Dad under too much stress in worrying that I might end up with the wrong man. But I guess they are happy now...Knowing that although I acted deaf during the times that they kept on reminding me, their reminders didn't actually fall on deaf ears... Somewhere, somehow, no matter how hardheaded or stubborn I was, their reminders were firmly planted in my heart and in my mind...And with their fervent prayers, I was able to find the man that I was really looking for. Because all along, getting their approval was a must for me.

Thanks, Mimi and Dad! And thanks to you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment